Our Mission and Vision
As Unitarian Universalists, it is the responsibility of each congregation to create a mission and vision statement that reflects their hope and understand of what it means to be part of a specific church.
There are over 1,000 UU congregations in the nation, each one is free to define what their church signifies by stating it in distinct terms, and to outline a vision to help guide its members and friends.
Our congregation, formed in 1997, took some time to find what it felt was the guiding mission and hopeful vision. We created these statements early on in our history and with the wisdom of time and experience reworked what we had decided. In the spring of 2011, we undertook the significant task of creating our mission and vision. In a series of one-on-one conversations and small group meetings we talked mission, we talked vision. Long lists were created, nothing was crossed off. We brought in a facilitator who studied what we had done and with that leadership we created our documents. They were approved, with much enthusiasm, by everyone.
Our religious community strives to:
- Welcome and accept all people, regardless of religious beliefs, race, or sexual orientation.
- Act out of love and compassion, doing no intentional harm.
- Promote free intellectual pursuit and personal growth.
- Provide opportunities for social and spiritual activities.
- Explore the wonders and mysteries of the universe.
- Encourage cultural involvement and healthy diversity.
- Be involved in service and social action, extending our reach into the world.
- Share our joy, time, talents, and money to sustain our community.
- Value and acknowledge contributions made by each individual.
- Live the Principles and Purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association*.
If these resonate with your beliefs or understanding of what it means to be religious/spiritual, we hope you will come and get to know us.
We are a sanctuary for religious liberals celebrating compassion, diversity, and spiritual growth.
Our vision statement is currently being updated.